Saturday, November 28, 2009

Feeling thankful on Thanksgiving...and every other day as well

This week I came back to Michigan to be with my family for Thanksgiving. I hadn't seen anyone in my immediate family since shortly after the surgery. I hadn't seen my nieces, nephews, or in-laws since before all of this happened. So while this might sound obvious to some, I feel incredibly thankful to have such wonderful parents who raised such fantastic siblings, each of whom married amazing partners so they could raise some of the most adorable, wonderful, caring, and sweet nieces and nephews I could ever imagine. And of course, I feel incredibly thankful for all of my doctors and nurses and all of my wonderful friends (in particular "H-Lo" and the "Freighbor") who've kept me going long enough so I could get back here this week to see them all!

The rest of my thanks are spread out far and wide:
To the people I work with and the place I work. I can't even begin to explain how easy it's been to make it this far because of their support, and how crazy it could have been if not for them.
To my mom's chocolate cake. Damn that's good.
To Chana and her mom, for helping me keep perspective.
To blogs, so I don't need to write quite as many e-mails....
To other survivors, for helping me learn how to pull myself through.
To ultimate, for connecting me to some of the most amazing people I know.
To Lance, mainly for making me laugh.
To the Lions, mainly for making me...laugh.
To the X-men, for giving me a quick way to explain things to strangers.
To all the turkeys who sacrificed themselves (including the Lions).
To layers. Remember, layers are key.
To drug companies. While they aren't perfect, they are keeping me alive.
To the parts of my hair that seem to be slowly returning.
To the members of Congress who are caring people and understand that an incredibly wealthy nation can afford to keep its people healthy.
(And again) To my luck of being employed by a great company, and therefore having health care to keep me alive.
To my siblings' dogs, each of which is adorable in its own way! (I still like you more, Chana....)
To music....sweet sweet music. And, of course, dancing in the street.
To wilderness areas. They keep me sane. Ok...close to sane....

And not to be too repetitive, but I'm most thankful for my family (immediate and extended) and friends (local and long distance) for all the kindness and love they've shared. And yes, that's you I'm talkin' 'bout. Youse gotta problem?!?

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post Logan! I'm glad you got home for the holidays. It gave me joy to read these words from you. Yea joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post. I'm grateful for your "Eez zis de ball? Squish de ball - no ball" silliness you've instilled into my son. He still says that from time to time.

    Hope to see you at the W.E. in a couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok you made me cry . . . good tears. And we're thankful because you showed us how to keep our eye on what's most important; for spending so many glorious/precious amounts of time with us, making us laugh and helping us understand so many incomprehensible things that only you know (like can oxygen freeze?) and other stuff. There's a reason so many people love and respect you. It was a fabulous week - even a bit of sunshine and no snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving, bud. It's great that you were able to spend the holiday with your family in Michigan. Stay cool, and remember ... animantium does not rust.

    ReplyDelete