Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A little clarity goes a long way

Yesterday was my appointment with Dr. Berger and Dr. Butowski. Based on the typical busy schedules, I ended up meeting with both of them simultaneously. It actually turned out to be very efficient and helpful. I had already developed a list of questions to alleviate my stress, and their responses were about as good as I could hope for, given my current situation. There is still a chance it might not be a tumor, and the odds could be as good as 50/50 on that front. If it is a tumor it's still very small, posing little risk to letting it go until the next MRI in December. If the MRI shows significant growth, then surgery can still be performed and it is still likely (though not guaranteed) that I could remain on the current clinical trial. I also feel less frustrated with "the system" after hearing them explain why it was not removed during the last surgery. It was not an unfortunate result of poor communication, but was primarily a more standard approach from an expert surgeon. Don't cut things out that aren't clearly tumors and/or clearly safe to attack. If you do, you are opening a world of hell.


So after all that, I'm heading home to see "The Fam" for Thanksgiving with a much better feeling overall. Happy Turkey Day!

(And thanks again Kate for coming along to help advocate!)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that there was a clear rationale for delay. Guess it is your brain after all and a good reason for caution. Glad you had clarity pre Turkey and B-day. Hope you got some good chocolate

    ReplyDelete